Google has released its Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide or Search Engine Optimisation as we like to call it in Australia outlining the dos and don’ts of SEO.
The Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide is a best practices guide released by Google to make it easier for Search Engines to crawl, index and understand your content. It won’t give away any trademark secrets that will shoot your website to the top of the rankings but it will help you with your Search Engine Optimisation and give you fresh ideas on how to pimp your site and increase your visibility on Search Engines.
Google originally released the Google SEO Starter Guide in 2008 and this version has been refreshed and updated to reflect changes in Search Engine technology. According to the Webmaster Central Blog, the new and improved version will include glossary terms throughout the guide, more examples, ways to optimize your website for mobile devices and clearer wording for better readability.
Here’s the list of contents in the 32-page Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide:
- Create unique and accurate page titles.
- Make use of the “description” meta tag.
- Improve the structure of your URLs.
- Make your site easier to navigate.
- Offer quality content and services.
- Write better anchor text.
- Optimize your use of images.
- Use heading tags appropriately.
- Make effective use of robots.txt.
- Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links.
- Notify Google of mobile sites.
- Guide mobile users accurately.
- Promote your website in the right ways.
- Make use of free webmaster tools.
Google has very nicely made the Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide available as a free download without any registration needed. This is a must-read for any newbie who is optimizing their website or a business owner who needs an Search Engine Optimization refresher course.
Download the Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide.
The Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide gives you tips straight from the horse’s mouth but like we always say at SEO Works, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t always get ‘em to drink. If you would like help with Search Engine Optimisation and learn how to optimize your website to maximize your online ROI, contact one of our SEO experts or find out more about SEO Packages.