5 Ways to be an E-Commerce Pro on Pinterest

With 70 million users every day, four years of success behind it, and another year of exponential growth ahead of it, there’s no longer an excuse for e-commerce sites to ignore Pinterest.

With 70 million users every day, four years of success behind it, and another year of exponential growth ahead of it, there’s no longer an excuse for e-commerce sites to ignore Pinterest. Sure, Facebook still reigns in terms of social marketing—but guess who’s trailing closely behind? As an e-commerce site, you rely heavily on having an attractive website design and making sure that your products are visually appealing. Pinterest is an entirely image-based social network, which means that you have an untapped community of potential customers right at your fingertips. With Pinterest continuing to roll out more retailer friendly features throughout the year, you need to make sure that you’re on the platform and actively using it. Here’s what you should be taking advantage of:

Pinning and Re-pinning

Sephora on PinterestBe honest—you feel like a rock star when someone re-pins one of your pins, don’t you? That’s why you should have a healthy mix of pinning your own products and re-pinning other related pins from other users. Not only does this make you seem more authentic as a brand, it also makes other users feel good. The great thing about Pinterest is that it’s an endless circle of pinning and re-pinning, which means that your content has a much longer shelf life than any post you’ll ever see on Facebook. When your content gets re-pinned, it’s being seen by new users over and over again. In fact, a study from Piqora showed that users may see your products up to a month later—40 percent of the clicks within the first day, 70 percent of the clicks within the first two days, and the remaining 30 percent happens within 30 days or beyond. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Engaging With Users

If you’re not already commenting and tagging on pins circulating on Pinterest, you should consider starting. If you leave comments on pins and it gets re-pinned, more people are going to see your comments and this will help get the conversation going. Whenever you re-pin something, go ahead and tag the original pinner, too—this is like a high-five to the user and it’s just another way to add credibility to your brand.

Pinterest Analytics

Once you verify your business on Pinterest, the door to Pinterest analytics will open up for you and you’ll be able to take a good look at how you’re doing overall. You can also get a little more insight into who your audience is and what they’re looking for. Go ahead and stalk the users who are pinning your products. Find out who they are, what they’re interested in, what other items they pin, who they follow, etc. to get a better idea of the type of content that you should be pinning.

Rich Pins

With a little bit of extra coding on your website, you can add Rich Pins to drive more traffic to your website and provide more information about your products to Pinterest users. With Rich Pins, retailers can add information to their pins such as price, locations to buy the product and product availability, so it eliminates the hassle of shoppers having to figure that out on their own. Recipes, for example, will show a list of ingredients, the cooking time, and an appealing picture of the finished product. If you haven’t already, it’s worth the extra time to add this feature to your website and then go through all of your existing boards to reflect those changes.

Gifts Feed

Pinterest’s latest feature is the Gifts feed, which is an entire feed for Product Rich Pins. When you add that extra coding to your website to enable Rich Pins, this will allow your products to be filtered into the Gifts feed under different price categories. The price categories include items that are $25 or less ($), items that are $25-$50 ($$), items that are $50-$200 ($$$) and items that $200 or more ($$$$). The Gifts feed is still a work in progress, but it’s on the way to being an extremely valuable tool for online shoppers and online retailers alike.

20 percent of web referrals come from Pinterest these days, and 26 percent come from mobile users on Pinterest. As Pinterest continues to grow and mobile phones continues to take over internet use, it’s more important than ever for e-commerce sites to use Pinterest to its full capacity. Pinterest may not be taking over just yet, but it’s certainly trying to—and you need to hop on board and take advantage before everyone else does.