We are often asked “How do search engines work?” so we thought we should provide a quick outline of the key factors we believe Google, Yahoo and Bing have built into their search and data algorithms.
A Search Engine Rankings algorithm is simply lines and lines of code that have a series of criteria by which they can rate a particular page for a particular keyword phrase. On a broad scale there are three major elements in determining whether your web pages will be highly ranked for particular keyword phrases:
- Technical infrastructure – can all your pages be easily found and can the code that writes them be clearly understood and indexed
- Page content – does your on-page (what visitors can see) and off-page (behind the scenes coding such as your <title> tag) content present unique material that is presented in a way that Search Engines like
- Incoming links – does your link profile present a balanced quality and quantity of links that are on theme, relevant and with appropriate anchor text within the links
Based on our own research sites we also know that the following more specific search engine rankings factors influence how a Search Engine ranks each page.
- Keywords in the <title> tag
- Keywords in <h1, h2, h3 etc> tags
- Keywords actually appearing on the page
- Keywords in links pointing to the page from within your site
- Keywords in domain name or in page file name
- History of URL being active
- Age since registered
- Weighting or page rank of links pointing to the URL
- Overall theme of URL using incoming and outgoing links
- Historical use of URL
- Links pattern profile to URL
- History of page being active
- Age since page created
- Weighting or page rank of links pointing to the page
- Overall theme of page using incoming and outgoing links
- Links pattern profile to page – internal and external/deep links
- Mobile friendliness (responsive design, mobile template, and AMP compliance)
- Website and web page load speed
- HTTPS implementation
- Code obfuscation/crawlability
Inbound Link Weighting:
- Age of links
- Quality of domains sending links (using metrics like Domain Authority and Trust Flow)
- Quality of pages sending links
- Anchor text of incoming links
- Link quantity versus quality ratio
- Theme or relevance of pages linking in
- Types of domains linking in (.com, .gov, .edu, .org)
User Data Weighting:
- The “bounce” rate – visitors hitting the Back button
- Historical click through rate from search engine results page
- Time visitors spend on each page
- Search requests for actual URL
- Historical visits and returns by visitors
Clearly there are other search engine rankings factors within each Search Engine algorithm and each algorithm is not only complex but must also deliver results extremely quickly. We are also of the opinion that the weighting of each component above varies with the competitiveness of the keyword phrase being targeted.
Some of the above Search Engine algorithm factors are directly within your control such as placing your keywords in the <title> tag and appropriately within the on page text. Others are more difficult to manage and control such as “bounce” rate and return visit ratios, but they are indeed manageable.
About seoWorks & Our Best SEO Company Lists
Why We Prepare Our “Best SEO Company” Lists…
For more that 15 years seoWorks was itself a Top SEO Company, providing Custom SEO Services and SEO Packages to clients around the world, from Enterprise Corporations through to Small Businesses…and we did it well.
And at least once a week we heard from a potential client that had a bad experience with an SEO company and either asked us to clean up after the mess, or they were genuinely relieved when we showed them how straight forward and transparent we were in providing our services. In fact, many said we were the best SEO company that they had come across, even before they became a client.
Why did they like us so much?
Well, we are honest, transparent and we documented everything that we promised to do, ticking off what was done, on site and off site. And we delivered results that were measurable, quantifiable and tangible.
So, why did we change?
Simple really. SEO has become a huge business, so we could have continued as a successful premium boutique SEO firm. But, in reality, we simply heard one too many tales of woe from unhappy clients who had unwittingly made the wrong choice before coming to us.
And we decided to do something about it.
To use our 15 plus years of experience and expertise to provide companies such as yours with definitive, independent guides to the Best SEO Company in your city or country. Discover more about how we rank SEO companies and how we deliver Best SEO Company lists that you can trust. And if you still feel that you need advice, explore how we can help you here.